Sunday, April 12, 2009

Breaking the Addiction

I love running on a treadmill.

It sounds so funny coming from me. I mean really. I love my kids...absolutely! I love Rob...you betcha! I love Ben and Jerry's Cookie DOugh Dynamo, especially when it is allowed to sit at room temperature for just a few minutes so it is extra soft and creamy...uh, yeah! I love using ellipses...obviously! But...I love running on the treadmill...who knew?!?!?

I think I enjoy the treadmill because it caters to my inner control freak. I know at every moment how fast I am going, how far I have gone, how much longer I have to run, how much farther I have to run, how many calories I have burned, and my current heartrate. If I don't like the numbers I see, I can go faster or slower and watch the results change in an instant. Ohhhhhh I love control! Add to that the little fan that blows in my face and my water bottle at arm's reach, and the fact that if I get my favorite treadmill, I can listen to music AND watch Fox news at the same time, and well, it's a little slice of heaven.

The bad thing is, I checked, and the 10K is NOT run on treadmills. It's run on a road. So, as much as I don't want to and as much as I miss my treadmill, I have to run outside. Running outside isn't really for control freaks. It's more for free spirits. I mean what if I get three miles out and I have to go to the bathroom? What if I get thirsty? What if some strange person tries to talk to me? What if I collapse and it takes hours for someone to find me but by then squirrels have started to nibble away at my hands? Do you see what I mean people?!?! Plus there are hills, and road bends, and curves to contend with. I have found out something interesting about myself...I really enjoy running downhill more than uphill. Prety strange, huh?

Saturday was my first swipe at 6.2 miles. I ran off and on for about 4.5 miles of it. I did it in 86 minutes. Not a bad start point and I have 5 weeks to improve on that. I am hoping by that time I'll stop jonseing for that treadmill.

1 comment:

Anne Marie said...

You go girl! That is awesome Nikki how great you are doing in your new sport of running! I can relate to your "love of the treadmill". It does feel great to FEEL like you do have CONTROL over some things!

Keep up the good training!

Anne Marie