Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Trusting the Process

Do you want to know something I have recently discovered? As it turns out, I don't know everything about everything. Strange, huh?

Last week in my running was what they call in the biz, a recovery week. That basically meant that I was not to try to run farther or faster than I had previously and none of my walking/running was longer than 4 miles. I wasn't so sure I liked the idea of a recovery week. I mean I only have so many weeks left until the race, and I am only half-way there, and I still have like a ton of weight to lose, and, well, probably Runners World doesn't know that I can't afford to take a recovery week. I know that they are the experts, but I was pretty sure I knew better. I mean I could literally feel the fat cells attaching themselves to my thighs as I recovered.

From Day 1, though, I told myself I wasn't going to give up. I wasn't going to trust my mind or the scale. I was going to trust the experts. I was going to trust the process. So, after a little bit of a battle, I took the recovery week. I ran 3 miles one day, 2 another and 3 on the third. (Well, actually, I ran 3.14 since I like to run a Pi in honor of Jonathan who is so intrigued by a number that could go on forever).

Today was the first day back in non-recovery mode and well....I ran 4 miles...straight! Hooray! I am actually getting there. I can hardly believe it.

As it turns out, I guess the good folks at Runners World.com actually do know more about running that I do. Weird.

No comments: