Thursday, August 03, 2006

The Pediatician

Ryan saw the Pediatrician this week for his well visit. He is doing very well. But, I did receive some very, very upsetting news at the visit: Dr. Porter is leaving the practice and moving to NY.

Dr. Porter joined the practice right around the time Ryan was born and he's been my favorite ever since. He's been there for well visits and visits with sick kids. He's handled my slightly-neurotic-albeit-inside-the-bounds-of-normal questions without making me feel like an idiot. We've talked about the danger/benefits of vaccinations and he's given me tips on how to get my children to do or stop doing just about anything I've wanted them to do or stop doing. He's called my home after Jaden's surgeries to make sure we were OK. He knows off the top of his head that Ryan had some blood work done at 2 years old, and still sucks his thumb, and that Jonathan has an "innocent" heart murmer. (Not the kind that will kill him on a rollercoaster, I asked). He's reassured me that yes, around 9 years old, girls do start to change a bit.

In a nutshell, I've entrusted Dr. Porter with the health and wellbeing of my children, which is, in essence, trusting him with my heart. That's why I'm not embarassed that when he gave me a hug and wished my family well, I felt a tear roll down my cheek.

Now on to terrorizing the newbie...

1 comment:

Dianne said...

Ugh, nothing worse than losing a favorite doctor. One year I lost my dentist, OB-gyn and primary care guy - all in one fell swoop! Got letters from each one of them. I thought it was something I did.

Seriously though, I hope you find another one who is just as personable and that you quickly feel comfortable with.