Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Why I can be happy today....

As expected, it wasn't a great night for Republicans. I really am most sad about Rick Santorum. I think he's a good guy. But, I am also certain that his career in politics is not over.

Last night was continually compared to what the Republicans did in 1994. I don't really think that is afair comparison, actually. If you will recall, in 1994, Newt Gingrich, a right-wing conservative, authored the Contract with America. In it were such things as term limits, tax reform including the elimination of capital gains and death taxes and the marriage penalty. It included pro-family, pro-life iniatives. The candidates that signed that were the candidates that won. By sticking to true conservatism, we were able to win.

Now to 2006. You just didn't see the same thing, I am sorry. You didn't see Nancy Pelosi talking about her very left agenda. You didn't see the democrats recruiting candidates that are left of center like their leadership. Heck, Howard Dean wasn't even allowed out during the campaign from what I could tell. In fact, most of the seats that were lost, were lost to very conservative democrats. For example, Casey in PA, Whitehouse in RI among others. Last night was not a victory for the left, except that they were brilliant in who the recruited to run in these key states. By sticking to conservatism, the democrats were able to win.

Oh yes, lest I forget, another eason to be happy today is that pro-marriage iniatives won in every state where they were on the ballot.

I remember after 2004, Hilary Clinton said something about the democrats getting the message that America wanted the dems to move more to the right. They did this year. Maybe, just maybe, it's a permanent thing. I seriously doubt it.

No comments: