Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Crazy for You

I heard this song from Madonna on the radio yesterday. And, I guess it's the time of year maybe, but it brought back memories of my senior prom.

It's hard to describe my senior prom, although the words "terribly unfortunate" immediately come to mind. My date was, well, not my first choice. I went to an all-girls school, although I knew lots of guys (not in the Biblical sense, mind you). The first guy I asked said he'd like to go, but he needed to ask his girlfriend first. Never mind. The second guy said he'd like to go, but he didn't have enough money to rent a tux. Loser! So, that pretty much left the guy I took. Sadly, I can't even remember his name. It HAS been 18 years. I think it was Joe something and I think we called him Skippy. I can't remember if this was an actual nickname he was aware of, or something I just called him. I think it may very well have been his first date ever. In addition to the bad date, instead of renting a limo, my dad got one from Ford Motor Co. (where he used to be employed) and DROVE IT HIMSELF!! In addition to that, there was enough room in the limo for 6 people, not the 8 that we had in there (plus everyone's big dress hoops...this was 1988, afterall) Sadly, I was not one of the fortunate one's at the prom who were able to secure some alcohol. Perhaps that would have made the evening more enjoyable. At any rate, it was all worth a good laugh with my girlfriends for many months/years afterward. And, I think I've gotten over the embarassment of the my parents driving me.

Thanks for walking with me down memory lane!

6 comments:

noblekleigh said...

You are too funny...How about I remember it like it was yesterday. Has it already been 18 years? Man...you are old!

Anonymous said...

What do you mean embarrasment? You didn't have to sit around with the other limo drivers. I always thought, you thought it was a fun thing to do.

tripmom827 said...

Hmmmmmm. "anonymous" sounds strangely like my dad :)

Anonymous said...

You went to your prom with someone named "Skippy"?!!! Now THAT is priceless! I miss hearing your funny stories...

AmyinMotown said...

MY favorite limo driver!!! One of the highlights of the evening was your dad driving away while Janet's hoop was still in the limo and you yelling "DAD!!!! GET BACK HERE!" as all the popular girls' heads whipped around.

Terribly unfortunate indeed. And his name was Joe Skipani (no idea if that was spelled right). I am sooo Googling my date right now.

I kind of feel sorry for people for whom prom was the highlight of high school--what do THEY laugh about with their friends 18 years later?

tripmom827 said...

Yes, but was it your date or mine who suggested we put Janet in upside down so she could put her hoop through the sunroof?