Wednesday, January 03, 2007

2006 ~ The year of the Fluke

That's what I've decided I am going to call last year...the year of the fluke. Since some really strange and fluke-y things happened. Like in January when Jaden had to have shunt surgery. That wasn't really a fluke, it is something that just happens when you have a kid with Spina Bifida. Sometimes their shunt fails. However, the shunt fell out of the proper placement in the first surgery and they had to do another surgery less than 18 hours later. Apparently, that very rarely happens, maybe less than 1% of the time. Weren't we lucky!! It was just a fluke!

Then in August, Rob was admitted to the hospital for five days. How he got to the hospital is a really great story in a typical male kind of way. Just to give you a clue, I got a call around 6pm, when I would normally be expecting him home, saying that he was in the Emergency Room and could I possible come down. Anyway, turned out to be diverticulitis. Now, some of you do not know my husband, but, he has a diet that makes a squirrel look like he is low on fiber. As it turned out, in all of those feet of colon, he had 2 inches that had diverticula, and those 2 inches were the ones that got infected! So very rare and strange in an otherwise healthy 30-something male. Just a fluke, said the Dr.

And, then in perhaps the biggest fluke of all, we found out on Halloween that we were expecting a baby. I have always wanted another baby. In Spetember, Rob finally said that he could be willing to welcome another child into our home. By the end of October, I was pregnant. Pretty normal for the average woman, but we're not average. We tried two plus years to get the triplets and now I am working on my 5th...craxy, wonderful fluke!~

There were other small things too that I won't bore you with. But, here's the thing. I don't really believe in flukes. I believe that everything happens for a reason. I believe in a Sovereign God who allows and ordains things to come into my life to teach me things and to bring Him glory. Maybe the lesson is as simple as remembering that our bodies will fail us and this world is not my home, or something that I seem to keep needing to be reminded about: that God is in control and His timing is always perfect.

There is something about a new year that I always find a bit scary, I guess. Because that's the thing about life...you never know what is around the next corner. Sometimes it's a wonderful surprise and sometimes it's not so great. Although, I do not know what 2007 will hold for us, I know WHO holds 2007 and I pray that He will bless us and keep us (and you) come what may!

No comments: