Thursday, February 02, 2006

Parent/Teacher Conferences~ Part Duex

Well, yesterday was once again P/T conferences. There wasn't really much of interest that happened. Everyone is doing great. Although, I was warned by every teacher, including The Youngest's Kindergarten teacher, how hard third grade is. Am I ready for three third graders, I was asked? Probably not. Maybe by August I'll feel better. But, I can't worry about that. Today has enough trouble of it's own. Someone very wise once said that, in fact, I believe it was Jesus.

I feel badly for two friends whose kids are really struggling in school and aren't sure what to do about it. Nothing gets us moms riled up like our kids struggling, that's for sure, especially when you aren't sure how to act and feel helpless.

I recently told a mom friend with a one-year-old that the secret to parenting is to trust your gut. Almost immediately, I was questioning my own advice. Has my gut ever been wrong??? YES! I remember the time Jonathan was 14 months old and was crying in the middle of the night. "I'm ot playing these reindeer games with him!" I said, thinking he was just wanting middle-of-the-night attention. Turns out he had a double ear infection and ruptured his ear drum...nice! And, what about all of those times when my gut has comflicting feelings. Do I hover? DO I let go? Do I fight this issue? Was I too harsh? Was I not harsh enough? It's enough to keep a mom on her toes...or, in reality, on her knees.

No comments: