Friday, March 17, 2006

Maybe it's working afterall :)

Sometimes I wonder if the things I am trying to teach my children are even sinking in at all and then something happens that let's me know that maybe, just maybe it is. Here's an example:

Jimmy* came over for a little visit the other day. He decided that he would like to have something to eat, so he helped himself into my pantry and proceeded to say, "Nikki, can I have a Twistable."

Out of nowhere I hear Jonathan say, "What are you doing calling her Nikki, it's Mrs. K***" (Don't want to use my last name to make it any easier for you stalkers to find us!)

I say, "Thank you, Jonathan. And, Jimmy, not right now becasue we are about to have dinner. Maybe when you leave you can take one home with you."

Jimmy replies, "Well, my mom said that I could have one if I wanted to."

Jonathan says, "My mom said no." and then Jonathan walks over and whispers in my ear, "I'm worried that Jimmy is trying to be the boss of you."

I love that Jonathan was trying to protect his mom. I assured him I knew what jimmy was up to and I had it under control, but it sure was sweet to see this little protective side come out of him. And, that's one thing I always try to teach: loyalty to family. I think he's getting it.

*Jimmy's name has been changed to protect his identity. Furthermore, I would like to state for the record that Jimmy's behavior, while extremely bothersome to Jonathan, was not nearly as much so for me. Thank you.

No comments: