Friday, September 01, 2006

What I Did This Summer

In typical back-to-school-essay style: (Although I've forgotten how to write an essay)

Besides the everyday summer type things like swimming, picnics, playdates, movies, vacations, etc. I did something very interesting this summer. I went on a 30 day fast. Yes, it's true. From June 12th-July 11th, I ate nothing! I only drank juices and water and maybe occassionally some tea.

I decided to fast because I felt like I needed some cleansing physically and spiritually. John Piper in his book, "A Hunger for God" says: "If you have no desire for God, it is not because you have drunk deeply and are satisfied. It is because you have nibbled too long at the table of the world. Your soul is stuffed with small things and there is no room for the great. God did not create you for this. "

The first week was difficult but after that it really was quite, well, refreshing, I guess. It was really an incredible experience, and probably something I will try to do once a year.

1 comment:

Dianne said...

Your blog is cracking me up today. I really got a kick out of the post below - "become a major lurker . . ." Good goal!

Re: fasting, wow, I can't believe you went on a 30-day fast. I don't believe I could do that, honestly. I have from time to time tried fasting from a thing or two - even books.

I'm glad you posted to my blog today (and nope, wasn't you I heard! I hope that wasn't offensive.) I'm going to add you to my blogroll so I don't "lose" you again. I'll keep it private if you'd rather, though.