Saturday, December 31, 2005

2005 - The Year That Was...well, boring...

New Year's Eve. A time to reflect on the past year and see where God has been at work, to see how I've grown. When I think of 2005, I think "status quo". I mean I live in the same house, with the same people. Rob is at the same job, I'm still a stay at home mom. The kids are still doing great in school and still hang out primarily with the same friends. We go to the same church, still serving in the same areas that we always do. I'm in the same PFO position as last year.

Not that I'm complaining, mind you. I've had my fair share of crazy years. Years where I've given birth to three babies at once, or given birth to my fourth baby and moved three weeks later. I've had years where I wasn't sure if Rob and I were going to make it to the end of the year married. Years where Jaden had many surgeries and other medical complications...not one single surgery this year. I'm happy with status quo.

One highlight this year was Ryan going to Kindergarten. A bittersweet moment to be sure. But, in reality, it was far less traumatic than I had pictured it being. I think for the five years Ryan had been alive prior to the Big K, I feared him going. I didn't want my preschool, baby years to be over. I wasn't sure I would have any identity or anything to do that would be worthwhile without a child by my side at all times. I can tell you that I passed through the stage with flying colors and it's actually pretty OK on the other side.

One other thing I noticed in 2005, at the stage of life I am in, friends are no longer getting married and having babies. Instead, friends are getting divorced and burying their parents...not so sure I like that trend.

Only the Lord knows what lies ahead for us in 2006. Perhaps, it will be another status quo year. Perhaps, it will be another year with the twists and turns of the unexpected. One thing is for sure: whatever happens, I know that God will never leave me or forsake me and that He who began a good work in me will be faithful to [continue to ] complete it.

No comments: